Don’t Do the Dew: Risks of drinking Mountain Dew
As a health professional, I am very concerned about patients and friends drinking Mountain Dew.
This post is for everyone I care about:
Don’t Do the Dew, Reason #1:
It contains High Fructose Corn Syrup, a sugar substitute that has been proven to be worse for your health than regular sugar. (Mountain Dew contains 46g of high fructose corn syrup.)
High Fructose Corn Syrup can lead to:
- Significant weight gain
- Increased risk of developing Type-2 Diabetes
- Elevated “bad” cholesterol
- Corn Syrup often has high levels of Mercury
Don’t Do the Dew Reason #2:
Mountain Dew has Citric Acid which is a strong acid that promotes tooth decay. Citric Acid softens the enamel of our teeth and leaves teeth looking “yellowish.” As enamel weakens, bacteria that forms on the teeth can reach the inner layers more easily, causing cavities. Patients that drink Mountain Dew tend to have more tooth sensitivity and more tooth discomfort when chewing or drinking hot or cold liquids.
Don’t Do the Dew Reason #3:
Sodium Benzoate, found in Mountain Dew, is a food preservative that is carcinogenic when mixed with orange juice. Parkinson’s disease, cancer, and premature aging have been attributed to this preservative.
Don’t Do the Dew Reason #4:
Mountain Dew contains Gum Arabic which is a key ingredient used in:
- Shoe polish
- Postage stamps
- Watercolor paints
Don’t Do the Dew Reason #5:
The second dangerous ingredient in Mountain Dew is Yellow 5 or Tartrazine, a coloring ingredient. It has been proven to cause:
- Behavioral problems in children
- Increase in allergies
- Increased cancer rates
Don’t Do the Dew Reason #6:
Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO) is used to help Mountain Dew taste “crisp” for a long time and gives a cloudy appearance. It tends to build up in your body and cause toxic effects, such as organ damage, neurological issues, and even birth defects. More than 100 countries have banned BVO, including countries in Europe and Japan.
Some people do, however, drink Mountain Dew for the caffeine.
Here is an interesting fact:
Coffee has 115-175 mg caffeine; Mountain Dew has 55.5. It is clear that a cup of coffee is still the thing to give you a jolt of caffeine with antioxidants.
If you cannot give up Mountain Dew, or just do not care about getting sick in the future, you may consider changing the way you drink it. These small changes can help you to prevent tooth decay:
- Don’t drink soda throughout the day, limit consumption of soda to meal time.
- Rinse out your mouth with water after drinking Mountain Dew.
- Chew sugar-free gum or gum containing Xylitol.
After learning about the health risks of these ingredients in Mountain Dew, I hope you will consider eliminating Mountain Dew from your diet.
Wishing you all health and happiness,
Lincoln Family Dentistry
Looking for Dental Payment Plans
or Apply Online
(Click logo above to be directed to website)
Make easy, affordable payments for your procedure with the Dental Payment Plans we offer.
We have 7 Locations in Lincoln, NE!
- Lincoln Family Dentistry – Central Lincoln
- South Lincoln Family Dentistry – South Lincoln
- Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry – Northeast Lincoln
- Preserve Family Dentistry – East Lincoln
- Coddington Dental – West Lincoln
- NorthStar Dental – North Lincoln
- SouthPointe Dental – Southwest Lincoln
- Emergency Dentist NE – Emergency Dental Care
- Lincoln Dental Plans – Affordable Dental Options