Is it common to have dental fear and dental anxiety?
Dental fear and dental anxiety are experienced by many. Often times, past experiences play a factor in the feelings you experience today. Whether you had a previous bad dental visit, or a dentist who was unsympathetic, the feelings you have are valid. While these feelings are nothing to be ashamed of, they are many times the driving force for keeping patients away from routine dental care. At Lincoln Family Dentistry, we feel that no matter what, everyone needs access to dental care. Although you might not realize it, dental fear and dental anxiety can affect your overall health. So, we’re here to help you overcome your dental fear and anxiety. In our article we’ll cover:
– How common is dental anxiety? It’s more common than you think. Read more below!
– How can I reduce dental anxiety? There are several ways and we have listed a few for you to try.
- Prior uncomfortable or negative experiences
- Feeling helpless or out of control in a dental office situation
- Feeling embarrassed about neglecting your teeth
- Fears of being ridiculed about neglecting your teeth
How Dental Fear and Anxiety Affect Your Overall Health
Overcoming fears of the dentist: Live a Better LifeHere are a few methods that we have found to be successful for patients with dental anxiety:
- Sedation dentistry
- Yoga techniques for breathing and relaxation
- Listening to your iPod® during visits
- Therapy/hypnotherapy sessions
The information on this page was written by Dr. Kelly O’Hara.
This gentle Lincoln, NE dentists says: “I perform gentle dentistry for the entire family and focus on children’s dentistry, extreme smile makeovers, cosmetic dentistry and placing mercury-free dental fillings. Moreover, I also want to provide a better quality of life to patients who have lost their teeth by making implant retained dentures. I have many goals, but one that is very important to many of us: to keep dentistry affordable by taking all of the primary dental plans and by also offering dental payment plans to patients that seek them. I am fully committed to making sure all patients feel comfortable while in my care.”
You can schedule with this Lincoln, NE dentist, or his partners, online 24/7 at a Lincoln Family Dentistry Location near you. This “dentist near me” serves the local communities close to Lincoln. Some of the communities include Eagle, Walton, Weeping Water, Avoca, and many more!
Check out the “What is Sedation Dentistry?” video.
We have 7 Locations in Lincoln, NE!
- Lincoln Family Dentistry – Central Lincoln
- South Lincoln Family Dentistry – South Lincoln
- Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry – Northeast Lincoln
- Preserve Family Dentistry – East Lincoln
- Coddington Dental – West Lincoln
- NorthStar Dental – North Lincoln
- SouthPointe Dental – Southwest Lincoln
- Emergency Dentist NE – Emergency Dental Care
- Lincoln Dental Plans – Affordable Dental Options
Nebraska Family Dentistry has dental clinic locations in all parts of Lincoln! Choose a “dentist near me” location that is convenient for you.