Risks of daytime clenching
Do you catch yourself daytime clenching? Many people grind their teeth at night, while some do daytime clenching. The amount of force that is created on your teeth from daytime clenching can do astronomical damage to your teeth. Excessive wear may not be uncomfortable, to begin with, but over time it will lead to sensitive teeth and cavities. Excessive wear can also change the appearance of your teeth, facial structure as well as the appearance of your smile.
Daytime clenching can cause changes, such as:
- Noticeable tooth wear
- Teeth that are shorter from their original size
- Chips in teeth
- Increased tooth sensitivity to cold or hot
- Discomfort in your face
- Cracked fillings, new cavities under the current fillings
- Broken teeth
- Repetitive headaches or earaches
- Jaw problems – discomfort when closing or opening, feeling very stiff, TMJ – temporomandibular joint disease
The simplest way to control daytime clenching is to wear a day guard during the day.
More about daytime clenching
At Lincoln Family Dentistry we make clear and comfortable daytime mouth guards. Those day mouthguards are made of clear soft plastic material, so you can wear them all day long. By wearing a day guard on your bottom teeth, you can take pressure away caused by daytime clenching and grinding.
Daytime clenching can also be improved by following those tips:
Self – awareness can help decrease the amount of time spent clenching and grinding
Using Relaxation techniques
Chewing sugar-free gum can help keep the mouth occupied from clenching and grinding during the day. Please note, if you have a sore jaw, we encourage you to first improve the soreness before chewing gum, as repetitive chewing can aggravate the joint even more.
What is the cost of a custom day guard?
At Lincoln Family Dentistry we make affordable custom made night guards and day guards. The cost of a custom night or day guard is only $75 .
Daytime clenching and temporo-mandibular disorder, TMJ
Temporo- mandibular disorder often coincides with daytime clenching. If you have TMJ, you may have symptoms, such as a stiff/sore jaw, discomfort in your neck, overall sensitive teeth, muscle spasms, inability to hold your mouth open for a long amount of time, and headaches.
The good news is that if you do suffer from TMJ our Lincoln Dentists can help you alleviate some symptoms by making you a custom fit night guard or day guard. By keeping the upper and lower teeth from contacting while you sleep or live your life during the day, TMJ symptoms can be significantly decreased.
What can you do if you have symptoms of TMJ from daytime clenching?
If you are currently suffering from side effects from clenching, grinding, along with TMJ symptoms you can try to do those things:
- Eating softer foods
- Decreasing or avoiding extreme jaw movements
- Ice or heat packs in areas of stiffness / soreness
- Following relaxation techniques
- Getting a custom fit guard to wear at night and during the day
If you have been experiencing daytime clenching, our Lincoln dentists can easily help you by making you a custom fit day guard. Schedule your consultation and we will be glad to help you.
Your Caring Lincoln Dentists.
Looking for Dental Payment Plans
or Apply Online
(Click logo above to be directed to website)
Make easy, affordable payments for your procedure with the Dental Payment Plans we offer.
We have 7 Locations in Lincoln, NE!
- Lincoln Family Dentistry – Central Lincoln
- South Lincoln Family Dentistry – South Lincoln
- Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry – Northeast Lincoln
- Preserve Family Dentistry – East Lincoln
- Coddington Dental – West Lincoln
- NorthStar Dental – North Lincoln
- SouthPointe Dental – Southwest Lincoln
- Emergency Dentist NE – Emergency Dental Care
Nebraska Family Dentistry has multiple Lincoln Dental Clinics!
Choose a “dentist near me” location that is convenient for you.