Your Lincoln NE Dentist on Teeth Whitening:
Do you want whiter teeth? Have you tried several different whitening methods that have proven ineffective? As your Lincoln NE dentist, I want you to know that there may be reasons beyond the type of whitening products you are using that may be limiting your results. Have you ever thought about the types of foods and drinks you consume each day?
As a Lincoln dentist, I know that everyone wants to feel confident in their smile. Unfortunately, having stains or tooth discoloration can make many patients feel self-conscious. Over time, our teeth pick up stains from the food we eat. Also, our teeth pick up stains from habits like smoking. The good news is that it is quite easy to lighten teeth. I can help patients achieve a whiter, brighter smile with whitening. Many patients elect to try professional in-office whitening with our affordable dentist in Lincoln, NE. Check our social media pages on Facebook as well as our website for whitening promotions to help reduce the cost of professional whitening. For patients who simply cannot afford professional whitening, there are a few natural remedies you can try at home.
Your Lincoln dentist discusses whitening teeth at home:
- Stay hydrated. The human body is mostly made up of water. For this reason, I recommend staying hydrated by consuming plenty of water throughout the day. This keeps your mouth moisturized and naturally cleanses the teeth. When sugar and bacteria stick to the tooth’s surface for too long, it causes damage to the enamel of the tooth. Ultimately, permanent discoloration occurs.
- One tip every Lincoln dentist recommends is to avoid drinking acidic or sugary beverages between meals. Soda has sugar and acids that can break down the enamel of the tooth. Drinking tea and coffee without sweetener added is better for teeth health, but can also cause discoloration. If you do continue to drink these beverages, use a straw to avoid direct contact with your white teeth. For a better source of sustained energy, make sure you’re eating a balanced diet with lots of vitamins.
- Avoid red wine. Just like coffee and tea, red wine gets into the enamel of the tooth, causing discoloration. Limiting your intake of red wine will help prolong your whitening efforts.
- Eat plenty of crunchy raw fruit and vegetables. This includes pears, apples and carrots. These types of foods help to cleanse the teeth naturally. Also, they help you produce more saliva, which helps keep you hydrated.
- Hydrogen peroxide can be diluted with water and used as a mouth rinse to gently whiten teeth. Hydrogen peroxide is an ingredient in many tooth whitening products and will whiten the teeth gradually. It will take much longer to see results using this method versus using a tooth-whitening system.
- Dark-colored fruits like pomegranates or blueberries have similar effects on the teeth similar to that of red wine. If eaten in large quantities routinely, you may notice some staining. These foods are extremely good for your health, so we do not recommend avoiding them entirely.
- Tobacco products are bad for your health and are also extremely bad for your oral health. Not only does using tobacco lead to periodontal disease, tooth loss, and oral cancer, but using tobacco regularly also stains the teeth permanently.
- Whitening strips can be purchased at pharmacies and are effective in whitening teeth. Patients who have highly sensitive teeth should not use these products. It is important to avoid allowing the gel from these strips to have prolonged contact with gums. Doing so, will help you avoid sensitivity. Your Lincoln dentist offers professional home whitening systems. Call our office for pricing at your affordable dentist in Lincoln, NE Lincoln Family Dentistry.
- Having great home-care and brushing thoroughly with whitening toothpaste twice a day helps to remove surface stains from foods as well as controlling the amount of bacteria on the teeth that lead to tooth decay.
- Oil pulling can help reduce the amount of bacteria in the mouth. Thus, oil pulling helps reduce enamel damage and tooth discoloration. Oil pulling is done by swishing a tablespoon of coconut oil in the mouth for 15 minutes, then spitting.
Final Thoughts From Your Lincoln, NE Dentist:
As your Lincoln dentist, I hope that these simple tips can help you keep your smile healthy and bright. If you want to professionally whiten your teeth, you can call our office and ask about teeth whitening. If you choose to go with professional whitening, you should use the tips mentioned here to help maintain your results longer.
Dr. Kelly O’Hara,
Your Lincoln dentist
Commonly Asked Questions on Teeth Whitening
What are the side effects of whitening strips?
Whitening strips come with some side effects. Most commonly, increased tooth sensitivity and mild gum irritation, which can last for several days. A great way is to prevent sensitivity by using custom made whitening trays. Custom trays keep your gums from being exposed to whitening agents.
How much does it cost to get your teeth professionally whitened? Your affordable dentist in Lincoln, NE answers:
The cost of teeth whitening varies depending on where you live and what type of whitening system your dentist uses. In Lincoln, NE professional whitening can range from $450-$600. Call Lincoln Family Dentistry to learn more about our pricing and seasonal whitening promotions.
What is the number one ingredient for whitening teeth? Your Lincoln dentist answers:
Most over-the-counter whitening products contain hydrogen peroxide. This ingredient does lighten the teeth. Professional systems, however, usually use a slightly different ingredient called carbamide peroxide. Scientific studies have shown that both ingredients offer the same results at the same concentrations. The main difference is how fast each product works. A system with carbamide peroxide has an advantage in that it also contains a desensitizing agent. Thus, it helps reduce post-whitening tooth sensitivity.
Can I get white teeth in one day? Your Lincoln dentist answers:
Patients who opt to do in-office professional whitening will have the most dramatic results in one day over any other tooth-whitening method. It is important for patients to know that the level of brightness they can expect to achieve varies greatly from person to person. Patients who have thin, translucent enamel will not be able to reach the same whitening results as patients with thick, dense enamel. Your affordable dentist in Lincoln, NE can show you a shade-guide and let you know what you can expect from whitening. It is unlikely that any home tooth-whitening remedy will yield noticeable results in one day, including whitening strips.
Can charcoal whiten teeth? Your Lincoln dentist answers:
There is no scientific evidence that charcoal toothpaste is effective at whitening teeth. It is possible that gently brushing with an abrasive substance like charcoal or baking soda can help to remove surface stains from coffee or red wine. There have not been any studies, however, to prove charcoal is an effective whitening agent. If you choose to use something like charcoal or baking soda for surface stains, be careful. Limit your brushing with these products to only 1-2 times weekly. In addition, use very gentle pressure. It is possible to damage tooth structure by brushing aggressively with highly abrasive substances.
Is bleaching your teeth bad for them? Your Lincoln dentist answers:
Whitening your teeth with peroxide-based professional whitening systems from the dentist or white-strips you can purchase over the counter is completely safe for the teeth. Patients who have extremely sensitive teeth normally should not whiten, as whitening temporarily dehydrates the teeth, making them more sensitive.
How long does teeth bleaching last? Your Lincoln dentist answers:
Professional teeth whitening results usually last 2-3 years. This can vary, however, depending on your habits. Patients who smoke and drink lots of coffee or red wine are less likely to have long-lasting results.
Affordable Dental Care
Make easy, affordable payments for your procedure with dental payment plans we offer.
Schedule Day or Night
Schedule your dental appointment at anytime of the day or night with our online scheduling.
We have 7 locations in Lincoln, NE
Lincoln Family Dentistry – Central Lincoln
South Lincoln Family Dentistry – South Lincoln
Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry – Northeast Lincoln
Preserve Family Dentistry – East Lincoln
Coddington Dental – West Lincoln
NorthStar Dental – North Lincoln
SouthPointe Dental – Southwest Lincoln
Emergency Dentist NE – Emergency Dental Care
Lincoln Dental Plans – Affordable Dental Options
Nebraska Family Dentistry